Tuesday, March 8, 2011

So, maybe we need more practising?

Well, I dunno, but AF arrived at CD29 on Sunday so I'm assuming that's what the universe thinks... I'm sure my Sydney Boy is up for the continual 'practising'...

I feel like part of what might be holding me back is my weight.  Since May last year, I have put on 13kg.  It's sickening.  The worst part is that it was such a slow progression that it's only 13 kilos later that I've gone "hey, wait the fuck up, there's something wrong here".  I know it sounds silly and I know that any excuse that I can come up with will be just that... an excuse... so I won't even bother.

Even though I know that losing weight might help my chances with falling pregnant, some days I just have no will power.  My sweet tooth is just really strong, there's no fighting it.  Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I don't remember how to fight it.  I'm really disappointed in myself for having put on so much weight when I'd just lost all that weight the year before.

I know that I can lose the weight again, but it's really hard, especially with a partner who doesn't eat vegetables and fruit, who would be happy to eat chips every night.  Sure he offers me the alternative of veges, but they just don't taste the same when he's sitting across from me munching on chips.  Yes, it's an excuse I know and I'm full of them.

The thing is we don't eat that unhealthily overall but I can see room for improvement.  Take today for example.  This is what I've eaten (which resembles a somewhat ordinary day):

Breakfast: coffee with skim milk and an egg sandwich (on brown bread, no butter)
Snack: 5 dates
Lunch: left overs from dinner last night: 'casserole' with chicken, sausage (only 1), red capsicum, beans, carrot, canned tomatoes, mushroom and onion
Snack: (the only really naughty food for the day) Cherry Ripe and skinny chai latte
Dinner: Meatloaf with garlic bread and roast potato.
Dessert: 1 jelly cup of weight watchers jelly with a cup of fruit.

So, it's not entirely unhealthy (well not the biggest loser unhealthy anyway...) but it's not exactly healthy either...

I've been thinking about taking the chromium tablets again to curb the sugar cravings, but then I worry that the last time I was taking them I got pregnant and had a miscarriage.  I don't know for sure that the chromium tablets didn't have anything to do with the miscarriage - maybe they did - and I don't really want to take that risk again.

I'd really like to go back to a personal trainer again - that seemed to make life much easier, even the eating was easier because I had someone to answer to - but it's just not an option right now, at least not for a few more months anyway.

So, anyone got any tips on the weight loss without a personal trainer? How to stay motivated? Healthy recipes WITHOUT VEGES (yeah right) or at least advice on how the heck I can possibly enjoy the 'healthy food' while my other half sits across the table eating junk?

5 comments:

  1. weight wathchers.. im doing it online... almost 8kg gone is 7 weeks... and not a spec of exercise... not ready to announce it to the world yet, because i have been here before and failed.. but so far so good... at this rate, by christmas i will be looking better, fingers crossed by my 33rd birthday i will be hot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weight Watchers or Sureslim if you have the cash. I did Sureslim a few years back and lost 12kg in 2.5 months. The basic principles of losing weight is quantity and a high protein, low carb diet. Weight plays a significant role in fertility and MC. I'm taking chromiun now for my pre-diabetes diagnosis. i doubt it affects MC as it's only a mineral that helps regulate sugar and insulin, but if you're not sure about it don't use it. Sugar intake can easily be maintained with a healthy diet. Argh, the shit that goes with trying to conceive. Good luck hon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies. Just had a thought re: the chromium tablets... and look what I found:

    http://www.babycenter.com/0_chromium-in-your-pregnancy-diet_663.bc

    According to this, chromium tablets are completely safe to take during pregnancy. Wish I'd thought to look this up sooner, it could have stopped me from partially blaming myself all this time... Will start taking them again I think, it really did help curb the cravings last time which was great.

    The upside to losing weight to get pregnant is that I'll more likely look more pregnant than fat when I do get pregnant (I hope! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally found you luv!

    Im not much on losing weight, you've met me and know my size. But in regards to getting healthier, just remember you can eat as much as you like of fruit and vegies, just limit your fats and carbs. Eating healthy takes preparation and alot of tupperware containers.

    Im a massive promoter of exercise, anything that gets the heartrate pumping is good. Join one of the womens gyms that do 30min circuits, its empowering to exercise and punch out the negatives about ttc. I have a punching bag and rowing machine to help me. Exercise is addictive, you will love it.

    If you only lose weight via diets, your body shape stays the same, exercising can change the shape of your body. Its not about being skinny, its also about being healthy.

    Cheers luv..xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for leaving the address to your blog! Your profile is blocked so I could never get to it when you left comments for me!

    You are sweet...but there is NO WAY I am pregnant! I don't even have HPT's in the house because I can't get pregnant on my own....after 3+ years of this and not one BFP...it's just not possible. I really was joking about taking the test....I really DO just want AF to start!!

    Will definitely be following your blog now!!

    ReplyDelete